OUTREACH & DIVERSITY OFFICER
Associated Universities, Inc. – Santiago, Chile
This position leads education, outreach and diversity & inclusion initiatives in the AUI/NRAO Office of Chilean Affairs (OCA). It engages with Chilean astronomical community and relevant government agencies involved in STEM education, outreach and diversity efforts.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Reporting to the AUI/NRAO representative in Chile, the outreach & diversity officer will:
- Develop and implement a strategic plan for OCA with the aim of increasing knowledge about AUI/NRAO among Chilean public and institutions.
- Support existing education and public outreach (EPO) initiatives, such as Sister Cities and Observatories program between San Pedro de Atacama and Socorro, New Mexico, and the Astronomy in Chile Educators Ambassadors Program.
- Identify other strategic EPO and STEM education programs to increase participation by underrepresented minorities in astronomy and STEM; design, launch and measure impact of those programs.
- Organize events, seminars and workshops in line with strategic vision.
- Represent AUI/NRAO at meetings such as the yearly astronomy EPO summit organized by CONICYT, LARIM, SOCHIAS or other related conferences.
- Develop collaborative relationships with universities, observatories, and professional societies.
- Oversee communication of AUI/NRAO scientific results and news of relevance to Chilean audiences, as well as OCA activities in the country, through the AUI/NRAO-Chile website and other electronic tools, such as the monthly newsletter.
- Develop, monitor and report EPO and D&I goals, metrics and deliverables.
- Prepare internal and external reports and liaise with the NRAO EPO Department and AUI director of education and public engagement in the U.S.
- Coordinate activities with the Joint ALMA Observatory EPO Department.
EDUCATION AND WORK EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree in astronomy, physical science, science education, or a related field is required.
- Master’s degree in astronomy, physical science, science education, or a related field, or the equivalent work experience is preferred.
- Experience working in a non-profit, international organization or university/research institution for at least 5 years.
- Interest in science communications with proven record of accomplishment in outreach and commitment to diversity & inclusion.
PHYSICAL CONDITIONS, NATURE OF THE WORK
This position is based in the Santiago corporate offices. Will need frequent travel both internally and abroad, as well as visit site at high altitude (5000 masl)
We invite candidates to submit the following information to ODO@aui.cl no later than October 06th 2019:
- Resume in English.
- Explanatory cover letter indicating how you comply with the job requirements.
- The names and contact information of three professional references.
- Monthly gross salary expectations.
Only applications fulfilling these four requirements will be considered.
Subido el 23 de agosto del 2019